
A federal judge said the administration could not toss Congress’s Greenbelt plan and spend the money on the Reagan Building instead.
Story Snapshot
- A judge blocked the switch from Greenbelt, Maryland, to the Ronald Reagan Building in Washington, D.C.
- The court said the administration lacked legal authority to abandon the 2023 site decision.
- Maryland officials argued funds were improperly steered away from Greenbelt.
- The Federal Bureau of Investigation said the Reagan site would save money and speed the move.
What The Judge Actually Decided
U.S. District Judge Theodore Chuang ruled the administration could not scrap the government’s 2023 choice of Greenbelt for a new Federal Bureau of Investigation headquarters and redirect funding to the Ronald Reagan Building.
He held that the agencies lacked authority to reverse a congressionally guided process without meeting legal standards. The order bars spending previously appropriated money on the Reagan plan. This does not pick a new site; it restores the status quo anchored to Greenbelt.
Judge blocks plan to move FBI headquarters to Reagan Building https://t.co/klukCewmpD
— CBS News (@CBSNews) August 18, 2026
The case turned on who has the power to decide and how money can be moved. Congress told the General Services Administration to pick among three suburban sites and the agency selected Greenbelt in 2023 after a formal process.
Changing course to a downtown retrofit required more than a press release; it required following the law on site selection and appropriations. The court found those requirements were not met when the administration tried to shift direction and dollars.
How Greenbelt Became The Default
The General Services Administration completed a long review and identified Greenbelt as the most advantageous site in late 2023. That decision followed years of wrangling, hearings, and a mandate from Congress to choose among Greenbelt, Landover, and Springfield.
The selection came with planning steps and funds directed toward land, design, and early work tied to Greenbelt. The court’s ruling recognized that framework as the lawful baseline the executive branch could not ignore.
Maryland and Prince George’s County sued after the administration announced a pivot to the Reagan Building. Their complaint said the move tried to redirect hundreds of millions of dollars that Congress had tied to the Greenbelt project, and asked the court to stop any spending on the D.C. retrofit.
The judge agreed that the attempted switch exceeded lawful authority, blocking the reprogramming and preserving funds for the original plan while the case proceeds to any further steps.
The Money Fight Underneath The Headlines
Appropriations law allows agencies to move some funds within limits, but not to defy specific directions from Congress. The court signaled that a suburban campus chosen under a congressionally driven process cannot be swapped for a different project by administrative fiat.
That reading tracks long-standing guidance: agencies may reprogram unobligated funds only if they stay within the purpose Congress set and do not breach restrictions. Common sense says the purse strings belong to Congress.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation and its leadership argued the Reagan Building would be faster and cheaper. They said it is a world-class facility and would save taxpayers money while meeting mission needs.
Those claims may prove right or wrong on cost, but fiscal prudence does not override the law. If the administration wants a different site, the clear path runs through Congress and a fresh prospectus, not a shortcut that lands in court.
What Comes Next For The Headquarters
The ruling sends the project back to the Greenbelt track that the General Services Administration set in 2023. That track includes site control, design, and a campus plan meant to replace the aging J. Edgar Hoover building.
The court’s order does not end debate over cost, timing, or design, but it resets the decision to the last lawful point. Any alternative would need Congress’s buy-in and a transparent process that holds up to legal and public scrutiny.
Trump Tried to Save Billions on FBI Headquarters. A Judge Blocked Him. | David Manney, PJ Media
President Donald Trump and FBI Director Kash Patel chose an existing federal building for the FBI's new headquarters, saying the move would save taxpayers billions of dollars.
On… pic.twitter.com/dqyb9uDyNB
— Owen Gregorian (@OwenGregorian) August 18, 2026
Taxpayers deserve two things at once: a secure, modern headquarters and respect for the rulebook. The judge’s message was simple: follow the process Congress wrote before spending the money Congress appropriated.
Agencies can make their best case on savings and speed, but they must do it within the lanes. That guardrail protects both wallets and institutions, and it keeps big projects from drifting on the whims of whoever holds the pen this year.
Sources:
cbsnews.com, oag.maryland.gov, baltimoresun.com, washingtontimes.com

















